The Municipality of Talugtug got its name from its location. It means “top”.
There used to be a Balite tree on a hill top near the Cuyapo-Muñoz trail. Under this Balite tree, travelers and good shepherd in the good old days, used to rest, enjoying the cool moon breeze and the beautiful view of the surrounding areas. Eventually, the people referred to the place as “Talugtug- Balite” which later on became a barrio of the Municipality of Cuyapo in 1917. Its first barrio lieutenant was the last Councilor Simeon Ramos. The Municipality of Cuyapo administration built the first the school house which was later on neglected. The municipal officials of Guimba took over and a portion of the “Talugtug-Balite” was named “San Isidro” which became a barrio of Guimba. Crisanto Baldovino, Bernardo Umipig, Perfecto Urbano and Esteban Baldovino were its outstanding “Tenientes del Barrio”. For “Talugtug-Balite”, the outstanding “Teneniente del Barrio” were Mariano Mendoza, Pablo Dacayo, Andres Dumandan and Severino Cachuela.
After liberation, because the inhabitants of the surrounding barrios were gathered the first time in Talugtug, the barrio leaders, at the insistence of Mr. Romualdo Estillore, seriously considered the creation of the municipality. A meeting of the people was held on November 3, 1946, and a committee to negotiate for the creation of the proposed municipality was organized. Mr. Romualdo Estillore was chosen Chairman and Messrs. Aniceto Feliciano, Simeon Ramos and Fermin Ancheta, Vice-Chairman, Auditor, Secretary and Treasurer respectively. The move was pushed in the real earnest. It was an all out struggle. People generously contributed for expenses. If the proposed municipality be created and organized, there would be no further evaluation and farm work would not be neglected. The situation was critical and immediate action was needed.
A petition was drafted and signed by the inhabitants of the different barrios, and then presented to the provincial board on December 6, 1946. It was approved but the Department of Interior demanded essential data, emergency reason notwithstanding. On February 12, 1947, the provincial board the mayors of the Municipalities of Guimba, Cuyapo, Munoz and Lupao came to Talugtug for a meeting. They found out that the people were unanimous and insistent in their clamor for the organization of a municipal government. They noted too the increase in population and the number of houses under construction. The provincial board passed Resolution No. 92 corroborating the statement of Major Nocete, then Provincial Commander, that the emergency conditions demanded the organization of a municipal government.
By April 1947, all papers were ready for final approval. But the clearheaded Dr. Marciano Roque, then Undersecretary of the Interior required the comments of the councils of the mother towns and possible revision of the estimates of income. Mr. Romualdo Estillore was almost at the point of despair but he was supported and sustained by Mr. Aniceto Feliciano, members of the committee and friends. All means had to be executed.
In the same year, the Municipality of Guimba generously endorsed the petition to make Talugtug into a municipality. Those of Cuyapo, Munoz, and Lupao disapproved the petition, the latter two of which wanted to have plebiscite to determine the will of the people.
However, Governor Gabriel Belmonte and Board Member Alfonso Faigal convinced by the argu-ments and proofs of the petitioners, saw that there was no need for the plebiscite and in Resolution No. 315, series of 1947 reiterated approval of the petition and recommended that objection be disregard-ed.
The Department of Interior considered the reason of the opposing Municipal Councils of Cuyapo, Munoz, and Lupao as selfish and unimportant, disregarded the objections and forwarded the petition through other departments and finally to the President of the Philippines. After formalities and techni-calities were observed or remedied, President Manuel Roxas signed Executive Order No. 113, creating Talugtug as the 26th municipality of the Province of Nueva Ecija in the presence of Nueva Ecija leaders, Secretary Manuel Gallego, Governor Gabriel Belmonte, Jose Corpuz, Meliton Rigor, Teodoro Santiago, Mayors Pastor Domingo, Anastacio Tobia, Gil Dizon, Tomas Corpuz and Diocoro de Leon of Lupao, Munoz and Cuyapo and Gapan, respectively.
The big celebration came on January 10, 1948 and the people of the barrios all turned out to meet Governor Chioco, Board Members Rigor and Lustre, together with other officials and officers of the PC, among them were Major Camua and Capt. Fallaria.
Talugtug remained isolated until 1955 when Talugtug-Guimba Road was opened and finished. The project was started in 1949 and was declared open in 1955. The vital lifeline of the town reduced the price of the commodities and raised the selling price of the local products.
The town is more than 66 years old. It has only seven (7) administration: Mr. Romualdo Estillore was mayor for six (6) years (1948-1955), Mr. Mariano Sapla had also eight (8) years (1956-1959 and 1964-1967), Mr. Nory Domingo had four (4) years (1960-1963), Mr. Bienvenido A. Javier had 20 years (1968 to April, 1986), Mr. Segundo A. Fronda had six (6) years (May 1986-June 1992), Mr. Pacifico B. Monta had nine (9) years (July 2002 to June 2010). Engr. Quintino S. Caspillo, Jr. (July 1992 to June 2002 and July 2010 up to present).
|Mr. Floro C. Pagaduan, Jr.||September 25, 2012 to present|
|Engr. Quintino S. Caspillo, Jr.||July 1992-June 2002 and July 2010 to|
|Mr. Pacifico B. Monta||July 2002-June 2010|
|Mr. Segundo Fronda||May 1986-June 1992|
|Mr. Bienvenido A. Javier||1968 to 1986|
|Mr. Nory Domingo||1960-1963|
|Mr. Mariano Sapla||1956-1959 and 1964-1967|
|Mr. Romualdo Estillore||1948-1955|